OLIVER’S Mount chiefs have been forced to reschedule their opening round after the Prime Minister’s ‘road to freedom’ announcement this week.
The season-opening Spring Cup, traditionally a bustling meeting with TT riders hungry for signatures, was originally set to run on May 8 and 9.
But with spectators not allowed at sporting events until May 17 at the earliest, which itself is solely dependent on Number 10’s satisfaction of a four-step Covid assessment, bosses at Scarborough’s only road race were forced into a rethink.
A statement from organisers today reads:
We are very pleased to see the Government outline plans to exit the current lockdown and due to the fantastic efforts of the NHS to rollout the vaccines at breakneck speed this should be a one way journey out of lockdown for good.
The 2021 Spring Cup was planned for 8th/9th May. It is now clear that spectators will not be allowed to attend that event, and the event itself would most likely not be allowed either under the proposed Step 2 restrictions.
The Spring Cup will now be re-scheduled to 22nd/23rd May, which will hopefully put the event into Step 3 and a restricted crowd will be allowed. This will still be subject to Government sticking to the planned date of 17th May to go into Step 3 and could still be subject to change.
Given that we now know The Spring Cup will be restricted crowd numbers, it will be a limited number of advanced ticket sales only, with no admission on the day.
There are no plans to change the dates of our other events at this time, but we will be guided by the latest Government announcements. The Barry Sheene Classic meeting in particular could see a slight date change if it means we can run with an unrestricted crowd, but we are not in a position to take that decision at this time.
If you have already bought tickets for The Spring Cup and cannot attend the new dates, please call Duke on 01723-333322 to request a refund, or to move your tickets to a future event.