Aintree chiefs ‘not giving up’ amid potential £75k+ repairs

In Aintree, News
Image: Colin Port

BOSSES at Aintree Motorcycle Racing Club are refusing to pack in as they face mounting costs for both safety barriers and track repairs.

All said and done, organisers could be looking at more than £100k to get one of the north west’s favourite circuits roaring back to life.

The news follows an update earlier this month from Aintree chiefs surrounding discussions with the Liverpool Motor Club and the Aintree Jockey Club to maintain forward progress.

Today a further update was issued by Chairman Dave Edwards, who said that even with help from members, rising costs could put paid to any meetings.

Recently there has been a lot of activity on Facebook about the future of Motorcycle Racing at Aintree and the lack of communication from the Club.

Firstly, the Directors and Committee want to thank all of you for the continued support you obviously have for resuming racing at Aintree.

We were hoping that something could be resolved last year but then Covid-19 struck, the Jockey Club lost the Grand National and everything came to a halt at Aintree.

We have been active during this time getting quotes for the two main items necessary for us to get a new track certificate from the ACU. Namely, trackside protection and track surface repairs.

Someone has been doing their homework and posted on Facebook the same quote we received from the Awning Company for the Safeguard Barriers. If we were to replace all the bales with Recticel barrier we would need 250 linear metres of cover at a cost of around £75k .

We have been advised the ACU will allow us to continue using straw bales as in previous seasons with additional protection in the form of Recticel barriers in the more critical areas which will keep the cost down.

The track repairs have been a subject of much debate and current quotes received by the circuit owners and the Liverpool Motor Club are well in excess of the safety barriers.

Even with generous support from [club members] it is unlikely we could meet these costs and still have money in the bank to fund a race meeting.

We are now looking at different ways of meeting the ACU requirements and have certainly not given up hope of getting back to racing bikes at Aintree.

All these matters are at a delicate stage and not something we can discuss in public, so we hope you will bear with us for a little longer while we try to find a compromise solution.

More when we have it…

You may also read!

Issue 22 OUT NOW

SHOP NOW We're rounding up all the latest from across the club and road racing worlds as the dawn of


Oliver’s Mount Spring Cup postponed

OLIVER'S Mount chiefs have been forced to reschedule their opening round after the Prime Minister's 'road to freedom' announcement


EU-backed VNUK insurance hikes officially axed

BIKE racers can celebrate today as a law which threatened to cripple the motorsport industry has been all but


Mobile Sliding Menu