2020 Manx Grand Prix and Classic TT cancelled

In Manx Grand Prix, News, Roads

THE 2020 running of the Manx Grand Prix and Classic TT will not go ahead, chiefs have revealed today.

Following speculation that there could be enough time to ride out the Covid-19 pandemic and hold racing later this summer on the Mountain Course, bosses have this morning made the call to shelve this year’s races.

Laurence Skelly MHK, Minister for Enterprise, said:

“This is obviously a conclusion that we didn’t want to reach but unfortunately when all the factors and advice are considered we felt that it was important to make an early decision to provide clarity and certainty to race officials, fans and sponsors, as well as competitors themselves.

“Although we cannot predict at this stage exactly what the Island’s or the global position will be in four months’ time, there is sufficient uncertainty and therefore making an early decision is the only responsible thing to do.

“We also want to reassure the Island’s residents that their health and wellbeing remains our number one priority and focus in this ongoing situation and furthermore it isn’t appropriate to potentially place additional demands onto our hard working hospital and medical staff by running the events this year.”

Peter Maddocks, Manx Motor Cycle Club Chairman, added: “We were asked, as race organisers, by the Government whether we were confident that the event could take place purely from a logistical and operational point of view this year.

“Although we were confident that we could provide the officials, the situation around other key personnel, such as marshals and medical personnel could not be guaranteed. Additionally the availability of event critical contractors and whether the infrastructure and equipment could even reach the Isle of Man in time is also an area of great uncertainty

“We also took into account the levels of pre-event practice the riders would have had to enable them to effectively take on the unique challenge that racing on the Mountain Course represents. All of these factors were considered and ultimately formed the basis of the decision that, from an operational point of view, the event had to be cancelled this year.

”Even though we are all in uncertain times the Club is looking forward to planning a return to the mountain course in 2021.”

*Image: Ellan Vannin Images

You may also read!

BSB Supports – Donington: Superstock 1000 victory for Honda’s Tom Neave

TOM Neave stormed to victory in today's Pirelli National Superstock 1000 battle to take the opening win ahead of

Read More...

BSB Supports – Donington: Skinner cruises to Supersport victory

SCOTSMAN Rory Skinner destroyed the opposition in today's first Quattro Group British Supersport race to win by nearly eight

Read More...

BSB Supports – Donington: Day dominates Ducati Cup opener

JOSH Day opened his Ducati TriOptions Cup title defence in perfect fashion this afternoon as he dominated the first

Read More...

Mobile Sliding Menu